The online marathon Girls Power Tech’20 in Ukraine on the occasion of the Girls in ICT Day took place from April 23 to May 23.
The organizing committee of the event included the Cisco Network Academies Program and Engineering Institute of the Zaporizhzhia National University. The purpose of the event was to attract girls to technology, to promote the development of STEM education in Ukraine, to show teen girls how to build a successful career in IT.
During the month, about 2,400 participants from 100+ educational institutions of Ukraine joined the event.
In COVID-19 carantine period, from their homes, high school students were able to learn about the experience of girls who have already made a successful career in IT, join the “Introduction to the Internet of Things” course at the Cisco Academy, and know new interesting facts about famous women in IT.
About 1,600 of them received a commemorative certificate of participation in the event, demonstrating, through testing, knowledge of IT history.
Among the girls who inspired high school girls were Software Engineering graduates of the ZNU Engineering Institute:
- Anna Sulkina, Senior Engineering Manager at Twitter,
- Christina Schatz, Frontend Angular Developer at LightIT,
- Olena Mikhaylutsa, UI / UX designer.
Our experts also were:
- Olha Kobrina, Cisco Ukraine,
- Ntombi “Soso” Luningo, Cisco,
- Myroslava Stremetska, project manager in the field of information security in INFOSAFE IT,
- Anastasia Zagorodniuk, Co-founder and chief operating officer of the startup VR.net,
- Kateryna Kowarska, Founder of the Khmarka startup.
A lot of time and effort was made by the organizing committee of the event to provide souvenirs, methodical and informational support during the event. But it was worth it! 680 girls changed their minds in favor of a career in IT. Especially we are inspired by feedback from school teachers: “Girls are very pleased, and infected with the success gene. The event was very interesting and instructive.”